This Strawberry shortcake recipe has golden flaky buttermilk biscuits that are topped with sweet juicy strawberries and homemade whipped cream. These sweet biscuits are easy to make and perfect for juicy strawberries and whipped cream.
Skip the box mix and make strawberry shortcake from scratch with only a few simple ingredients in about 20-minutes!
When it comes to strawberry shortcake, we prefer a biscuit base. No-fuss with these buttermilk biscuits are easy to prepare and are scooped onto a sheet pan, rather than rolling out and cutting with a biscuit cutter.
Strawberry shortcake is the perfect dessert for potlucks, church homecoming, BBQ and summer picnics. Especially during peak strawberry season! This is exactly how both my mom and grandma made strawberry shortcake!
Why this recipe works
- Uses simple ingredients that are readily available at most grocery stores.
- Let’s you control the ingredients. No added coloring or preservatives.
- No fancy kitchen equipment or biscuit cutter needed.
- Perfect for strawberry season for a simple to make summer dessert.
- Easy to make drop biscuits that are made with only a few ingredients.
What you’ll need
- All-purpose flour– Use whatever brand of flour you love.
- Sugar – Sweetens these shortcake biscuits and draws out the natural juices from the strawberries.
- Baking powder & soda – Leaving agents that will make these shortcake biscuits rise.
- Buttermilk – Adds moisture and flavor to the biscuits. Should your local store not carry buttermilk, you can make it at home by adding 1 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice per cup of milk.
- Strawberries – Fresh strawberries are ideal- cut them in half or quarters and sprinkle with sugar in a bowl. Adjust the sugar based on how sweet or tart your strawberries are.
- Whipped cream – We make our own with heavy whipping cream and sugar, but you can also use store-bought whipped cream.
Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake is made with items you likely already have in your pantry and full of strawberry flavor. It’s one of my favorite summer desserts!
For the filling, mix the strawberry slices with granulated sugar in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. This will help draw out the natural juices in the strawberries. I know you’re gonna love strawberry shortcake recipe as much as we do!
How to make Strawberry Shortcake
Step 1: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, melted butter and buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Drop by the spoonful onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Step 2: Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven.
Step 3: Split shortcakes with a knife and place in shallow bowls. Fill with strawberries and whipped cream.
Strawberry shortcake can be prepped ahead of time. Fix the berries and refrigerate them overnight. Strawberry shortcake biscuits can be made in one bowl and takes about 12-minutes to bake.
Shortcake is like a biscuit or scone that is slightly sweet. Shortcake is a crisp, crumbly cake made from butter.
Shortcake is typically made with flour, sugar, baking powder or baking soda, salt, butter and milk or buttermilk. The butter is cut into the dry ingredients until it resembles cornmeal. Liquid is added just until moistened.
More Summer Desserts
- Blackberry Pie
- Blackberry Hand Pies
- Peach Hand Pies
- Cherry Hand Pies
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Orange Dreamsicle Cake
Did you make one of my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating. Also, if you are on Pinterest, please feel free to leave a comment there! Follow A Farmgirl’s Kitchen on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and YouTube and subscribe my mailing list for ALL the latest recipes!
- 4 cups strawberries halved or quartered
- ¼-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. This will help draw out the natural juices in the strawberries.
- Using a hand mixer on high speed, beat the heavy whipping cream with sugar until you get stiff peaks. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, melted butter and buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Drop by the spoonful onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Split shortcakes with a knife and place in shallow bowls. Fill with strawberries and whipped cream.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.