Strawberry Shortcake is made with fresh sliced strawberries, buttermilk biscuits, and homemade whipped cream. One of the easiest summer desserts to make from scratch, you’ll love this strawberry shortcake recipe. Well, maybe except for a homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.
Are you looking forward to strawberry picking season as much as I am?! I’m looking forward to sun kissed hair, flip flops, and picking berries at local farms. And, with strawberry picking season comes amazing homemade jams and desserts. One of my absolute favorites is Strawberry Shortcake. Super simple to make and wonderful flavor. Skip the box mix and make these homemade drop biscuits with only a few simple ingredients! I promise this strawberry shortcake recipe is very easy to make and oh so delicious!
I love using fresh or frozen strawberries for Strawberry Fruit Bars, which are just like an Outshine bar and homemade Strawberry Ice Cream. And summer calls for refreshing drinks with strawberries like Strawberry Lemonade, Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade, Peach Sweet Tea, Raspberry Iced Tea, and White Wine Sangria. Even my Punch Recipe is great for a summer picnic!
Each spring, as a young girl, we went as a family to a local farm to pick strawberries. Many times, my dad would barter with that farm and trade them pure maple syrup we had produced for a full flat of berries. Today, we have the same tradition with our boys. I love buying something that is locally produced and supporting local farms! It’s extremely important to our family. I remember my mom making Strawberry Shortcake when we were kids. It was so good and so simple.
How to make Strawberry Shortcake:
Step 1: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, melted butter and buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Drop by the spoonful onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Step 2: Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Step 3: Split shortcakes with a knife and place in shallow bowls. Fill with strawberries and whipped cream.
For the filling, mix the strawberry slices with granulated sugar in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. This will help draw out the natural juices in the strawberries. I know you’re gonna love Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake as much as we do!
Do you love my recipes?! If you have a moment, leave a comment with a star rating!
Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
- 4 cups strawberries halved or quartered
- 1/4-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Whipped cream:
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. This will help draw out the natural juices in the strawberries.
- Using a hand mixer on high speed, beat the heavy whipping cream with sugar until you get stiff peaks. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, melted butter and buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Drop by the spoonful onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Split shortcakes with a knife and place in shallow bowls. Fill with strawberries and whipped cream.
Disclosure: A Farmgirl’s Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com