This easy strawberry shortcake recipe is made with homemade buttermilk biscuits, topped with sweet juicy strawberries, and homemade whipped cream. One of the easiest summer desserts to make from scratch, you’ll love this old fashioned strawberry shortcake.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Are you looking forward to strawberry picking season as much as I am?! I’m looking forward to sun kissed hair, flip flops, and picking berries at local farms. And, with strawberry picking season comes amazing homemade jams and desserts. Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake is super simple to make and wonderful flavor. Skip the box mix and make these homemade sweet biscuits with only a few simple ingredients! I promise this strawberry shortcake recipe is very easy to make and oh so delicious!
For the filling, mix the strawberry slices with granulated sugar in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. This will help draw out the natural juices in the strawberries. I know you’re gonna love Strawberry Shortcake Recipe as much as we do!
Strawberry shortcake can be prepped ahead of time. Fix the berries and refrigerate them overnight. Strawberry shortcake biscuits can easily be made in one bowl and take only 12 minutes to bake. Don’t you want to go strawberry picking now?! This is such an easy summer dessert!
I love using fresh or frozen strawberries for Strawberry Fruit Bars, which are just like an Outshine bar and homemade Strawberry Ice Cream. And summer calls for refreshing drinks with strawberries like Strawberry Lemonade, Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade, Peach Sweet Tea, Raspberry Iced Tea, and White Wine Sangria. Even my Punch Recipe is great for a summer picnic!
Each spring, as a young girl, we went as a family to a local farm to pick strawberries. Many times, my dad would barter with that farm and trade them pure maple syrup we had produced for a full flat of berries. Today, we have the same tradition with our boys. I love buying something that is locally produced and supporting local farms! It’s extremely important to our family. I remember my mom making homemade Strawberry Shortcake when we were kids. It was so good and so simple.
How to make Strawberry Shortcake:
Step 1: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, melted butter and buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Drop by the spoonful onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Step 2: Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Step 3: Split shortcakes with a knife and place in shallow bowls. Fill with strawberries and whipped cream.
Did you make one of my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating. Also, if you are on Pinterest, please feel free to leave a comment there and a photo if you have one! Follow A Farmgirl’s Kitchen on FACEBOOK and PINTEREST and subscribe my mailing list for ALL the latest recipes!
Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
- 4 cups strawberries halved or quartered
- 1/4-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. This will help draw out the natural juices in the strawberries.
- Using a hand mixer on high speed, beat the heavy whipping cream with sugar until you get stiff peaks. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, melted butter and buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Drop by the spoonful onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Split shortcakes with a knife and place in shallow bowls. Fill with strawberries and whipped cream.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.