Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake made with farm fresh eggs, strawberries, and buttermilk is one of the easiest desserts to make from scratch.
Are you looking forward to strawberry picking season as much as I am?! We’ve had a lot of snow this year and the weather’s been really wet the last few weeks. I’m looking forward to sun kissed hair, flip flops, and picking berries at local farms. And, with strawberry picking season comes amazing homemade jams and desserts. One of my absolute favorites is Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake. Super simple to make and wonderful flavor.
Each spring, as a young girl, we went as a family to a local farm to pick strawberries. Many times, my dad would barter with that farm and trade them pure maple syrup we had produced for a full flat of berries. Today, we have the same tradition with our boys. I love buying something that is locally produced and supporting local farms! It’s extremely important to our family. Because, growing up on a small farm had it’s struggles, but without a doubt, helped mold me into the individual who I am today. Buying local helps keep invest in your own local economy, saves fuel, and therefore emissions, and brings you locally grown produce that is often picked the day you make your purchase.
How to make Strawberry Shortcake Filling:
Step 1: For the filling, mix the strawberry slices with granulated sugar in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. This will help draw out the natural juices in the strawberries.
Haven’t made jam before? No worries, I’ll walk you through step by step. Want to try your hand at a few more canning projects? Maybe Bread and Butter Pickles or Raspberry Rhubarb Jam. Order a copy of my latest cookbook, A Farmgirl’s Table! There’s everything from homemade breads, jams, jellies, pickles, cakes, and savory dishes! As always, thanks for stopping by!
Do you love my recipes?! If you have a moment, leave a comment with a star rating!
Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
Old fashioned style sweet biscuits topped with freshly whipped cream and sliced strawberries.
- 4 cups strawberries halved or quartered
- 1/4-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Whipped cream:
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. This will help draw out the natural juices in the strawberries.
- Using a hand mixer on high speed, beat the heavy whipping cream with sugar until you get stiff peaks. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, melted butter and buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Drop by the spoonful onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Split shortcakes with a knife and place in shallow bowls. Fill with strawberries and whipped cream.
A Farmgirl’s Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com