Looking for Grandma’s Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe and can’t find it?! This homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is made with fresh, juicy strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and baked in a flaky pie crust.
Can you freeze rhubarb?
Yes, you can freeze rhubarb! Growing up, rhubarb grew along the entire edge of our vegetable garden. We picked rhubarb, washed, cut, and froze it all the time. That way it stays fresh and you’ll have a freezer full to do what you want, jams, pies, etc.
Now that we’re in North Carolina, rhubarb, unfortunately doesn’t grow in our area. But, luckily there’s quite a few transplanted Yankees and some of the grocery stores carry it!
Strawberry season has arrived, so I thought what better way to celebrate these sweet, juicy beauties that to make a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie! Strawberries are plump and so sweet right now!
If you’re looking for a homemade pie crust recipe, you’ll find it here:
Don’t feel intimidated by homemade pie crust. It’s really not that hard. Just keep your ingredients cold and don’t over work the dough. It’s as simple as that! Don’t you just love a pretty lattice crust?! I put a braid down the center of the pie for a little something extra. But still simple.
Baking a pie in cast iron:
Have you ever baked a pie in cast iron? Don’t be afraid, it’s quite simple! Just spray the bottom of your cast iron with some cooking spray or rub a little canola oil on with a clean paper towel. Then add your bottom crust, filling, top crust, egg wash, and bake. Simple! The bottom crust comes out perfectly. After you eat the pie, simply wash the pan, dry, and oil.
Did you make one of my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating. Also, if you are on Pinterest, please feel free to leave a comment there! Follow A Farmgirl’s Kitchen on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and YouTube and subscribe my mailing list for ALL the latest recipes!
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
- 4-5 cups sliced strawberries
- 6-7 stalks rhubarb sliced about 1-inch thick
- ⅓ cup instant tapioca
- 1 cup granulated sugar adjust based on how sweet your strawberries are
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sprinkle of ground nutmeg
- Homemade or store bought pie crust
- Combine the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice, and instant tapioca in a large bowl.
- Lightly Grease the inside of a 10 or 12-inch cast iron skillet. Place your bottom crust, and trim your edges. Add the strawberry and rhubarb mixture. Add the top crust. Roll under your edges and pinch the crust with your fingers or a fork. Gently brush with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place the pie on a half sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 1 hour. Let cool completely before slicing.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.