This easy to make Orange Dreamsicle Cake is made with yellow cake mix, orange jello, instant pudding, and a few simple ingredients. Orange creamsicle cake is layered with a pineapple and coconut filling.
Orange Dreamsicle Cake
This yummy Orange Dreamsicle Cake recipe is the perfect cake recipe for picnics, BBQ’s, and potluck gatherings. Oh boy is this one delicious cake! Such great flavors and uses a store bought cake mix with the addition of a box of orange Jello and instant vanilla pudding.
Do you remember the flavors of a orange dreamsicle popsicle when you were a kid? This orange cake recipe is like reliving your childhood!
How to make Orange Dreamsicle Cake:
Step 1: Simply place all of the cake ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat for 3 minutes, until everything is smooth. Pour the batter into prepared cake pans and bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Mix the package of thawed coconut with drained crushed pineapple and a few other ingredients for the yummiest filling.
FARMGIRL Grocery Tip:
Did you know you can buy freshly shredded coconut in the freezer section?! You’ll find it with the frozen berries, breakfast items, and Cool Whip section.
Step 3: Make the filling and reserve about ½ to ¾ cup to mix with frosting. Feel free to either use store bought frosting or make your own from scratch. If you’re like me, you’ll be licking the spoon you used to mix the batter, a lot!
This cake is perfect for a picnic or backyard gathering. I do recommend to keep this cake refrigerated. It’s wonderfully moist and full of flavor.
Do you love my recipes?! Please take a moment to leave a star rating and share on social media using the hashtag #afarmgirlskitchen
Easy Orange Dreamsicle Cake
Orange Dreamsicle Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix (15.25-ounce)
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 box orange Jello (3-ounce)
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding (3.4-ounce)
Pineapple Coconut Filling:
- ½ cup crushed pineapple drained
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 package frozen coconut (6-ounce) thawed
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoon whole milk
- 4 ounces full-fat cream cheese softened
- Mix all of the filling ingredients together in a medium bowl. Reserve ½ to ¾ cup for frosting.
Orange Dreamsicle Cake:
- In either a stand mixer or using an electric hand mixer combine all of the ingredients together and beat for 3 minutes. Scrape the bottom and the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans. Shake out any excess flour. Set aside.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the prepared cake pans. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Or until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the cake pans and let cool completely on a baking rack.
- Add ½ to ¾ cup of the filling to the frosting. Use about 2 containers of store bought frosting, or homemade cream cheese frosting. Mix together well with a rubber spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to frost the cake.
- To make homemade cream cheese frosting:Using a beater attachment, add all of the ingredients and beat until smooth and fluffy. Add a little milk at a time until you get the consistency you want. You’ll want this frosting to be a little thicker than normal.
To assemble the cake:
- Place one cake on a plate or serving platter. Place filling on top of the cake. Keep the filling about 1-inch away from the edges of the cake. Place the second cake on top of the filling.
- Gently spread the frosting on the top and around the sides of the cake. Top with a few thin slices of oranges for garnish.
- Refrigerate this cake until ready to serve.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.