This pumpkin pie recipe is bursting with pumpkin spice flavor and one of the easiest pie recipes to make! Made with simple ingredients and homemade pie crust it is a great make-ahead dessert for the holidays!
Classic pumpkin pie makes the perfect Thanksgiving or holiday dessert. Easy to make pumpkin pie filling that is whisked together in one bowl and poured into store-bought or homemade pie crust.
This is the BEST pumpkin pie recipe! Thanksgiving would not be complete without pumpkin pie.
Maple syrup was a huge part of my childhood, so I’ve added granulated maple sugar to mashed pumpkin and whipping up a homemade pie. You can make this classic pumpkin pie recipe in either a glass pie dish or a dual-handle cast iron pie pan.
I’m loving Lodge’s new cast iron pie pan!
Why this recipe works
- Easy to make fall dessert – Takes only minutes combine the ingredients!
- Made with simple ingredients – Readily available in your local grocery store.
- Simple to follow directions – Made in one bowl!
- Make ahead of time – Bake your pie the night before to save time!
- Perfect homemade dessert – This pie recipe is the perfect holiday dessert or any occasion.
What you’ll need
- Pumpkin Puree – Use canned or cooked pumpkin.
- Sugar – Sweetens the pumpkin perfectly.
- Maple Sugar – A natural sweetener that adds a hint of maple to this recipe.
- Evaporated Milk – Gives this pumpkin pie a creaminess.
- Spices – I prefer to mix my own spices instead of using pumpkin pie spice.
Looking for the pie cutters to create fall leaves- ORDER THEM HERE!
This pumpkin pie recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving and the holidays! This easy to make pie recipe is a must for family celebrations.
How to make Pumpkin Pie
Step 1: In a large bowl, whisk the eggs slightly. Then use an electric hand mixer or a whisk to mix together the remaining ingredients together, until smooth. Set aside.
Step 2: Using either homemade or store-bought pie dough, place one round in the bottom of a 9 ½-inch pie plate.
Roll under the crust and pinch your crust, using your fingers. You want the pie crust to be over the edge of the pie dish, as often times when it bakes, it sinks in a bit.
Step 3: Pour the pie filling into the unbaked pie shell. If desired, add decorative pie dough leaves on the top of the pie filing.
Carefully brush the edge of the pie crust with an egg wash. (Egg wash is just one large egg, 1 teaspoon of water, and a pinch of salt whisked together)
(Note: if using a cast iron skillet, spray the bottom of the skillet with baking spray prior to putting the pie crust in it)
Step 4: Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted in the center comes out clean.
In a mixing bowl beat pumpkin, sugar, maple sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, salt, and spices with an electric hand mixer. Pour the mixture into an unbaked pie shell.
You can 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream or half and half for evaporated milk.
More Thanksgiving Desserts
If you’re making Apple Pie, lightly brush the top crust with egg wash and add leaves around the outside edges, or in any creative way you’d like.
Did you make one of my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating. Also, if you are on Pinterest, please feel free to leave a comment there and a photo if you have one! Follow Farmgirl’s Kitchen on FACEBOOK and PINTEREST and subscribe my mailing list for ALL the latest recipes!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup granulated maple sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can pureed pumpkin
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Homemade or store-bought pie crust
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs slightly. Use an electric hand mixer or a whisk to mix together the remaining ingredients together, until smooth. Set aside.
- Using either homemade or store-bought pie dough, place one round in the bottom of a 9 ½-inch glass pie plate OR 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Roll under the crust and pinch your crust, using your fingers.
- Carefully brush the edge of the pie crust with an egg wash.
- Pour the pie filling into the unbaked pie shell. If desired, add decorative pie dough leaves on the top of the pie filing.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Refrigerate until serving. Serve with homemade whipped cream.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.