These Easy Baked Beans are perfect flavors of sweet, savory, with a touch of spice. This baked beans recipe is perfect for BBQ’s, picnics, and potlucks.
Every summer BBQ or backyard picnic needs homemade baked beans to make it complete. This is the perfect way to improve canned beans. As my mom used to say, “doctoring up canned baked beans.”
Semi-homemade baked beans are made with brown sugar, ketchup, molasses, mustard, spices, and topped with bacon.
We love easy summer recipes like Homemade Barbecue Sauce, Bacon Cheeseburgers, Easy Pulled Pork, Homemade Coleslaw, Tuna Pasta Salad, and BBQ Pork Ribs. This baked beans recipe is the classic dish for any potluck gathering!
Unlike my Grandfather’s Boston Baked Beans Recipe, these baked beans take little time to make! So they are perfect if you are in a hurry and want simple to make baked beans.
How to make Baked Beans:
Making these baked beans takes no time at all! Prepared within minutes and they slow cook in the oven for 2 hours.
Step 1: Place the sheet pan with bacon into the preheated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
Step 2: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 3: In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, add the brown sugar, ketchup, molasses, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Use a large spoon or rubber spatula to stir everything together.
Step 4: Pour in the pork and beans into the baking dish and combine with a spoon.
I topped these beans with maple coated bacon. It’s super simple to make. You want to be sure and top baked beans with cooked bacon! Because raw bacon will never crisp up on the beans.
How to make Maple Coated Bacon:
Step 1: Just line a half sheet pan with parchment paper (makes for easier cleanup!)
Step 2: Overlap slices of bacon on the sheet pan. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of granulated maple sugar.
Step 3: Cook in a preheated 425 degree F oven for about 25 minutes, or until crispy. Drain the bacon on a plate lined with paper towels.
Step 4: Top with crispy bacon. Bake for 2 hours or until thick.
Did you make one of my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating. Also, if you are on Pinterest, please feel free to leave a comment there and a photo if you have one! Follow A Farmgirl’s Kitchen on FACEBOOK and PINTEREST and subscribe my mailing list for ALL the latest recipes!
Easy Baked Beans
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 tablespoon granulated maple sugar
- 3 (28-ounce) cans pork and beans
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2-3 tablespoons prepared mustard (stone ground or yellow mustard)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Line a half sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Place the bacon slices closely together, overlapping slightly on the sheet pan.
- Sprinkle the uncooked bacon evenly with granulated maple sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the sheet pan with bacon into the preheated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until crispy.
- Using tongs, remove the bacon and let drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, add the brown sugar, ketchup, molasses, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Use a large spoon or rubber spatula to stir everything together.
- Pour the pork and beans into the baking dish and stir everything together to combine.
- Lay the cooked bacon on the top of the beans. Lay it whole or cut into pieces if you desire.
- Bake in the preheated oven, uncovered, for 2 hours, or until thick.
- Let the beans cool slightly before serving.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.