These Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting are light, fluffy and topped with a yummy chocolate frosting. This cupcake recipe is easy to make!
Post contains affiliate links
One of my favorite homemade treats would definitely be a yellow cupcake with chocolate frosting.
Many of the cake recipes from both of my grandmothers and their mothers use vegetable shortening. Grandma Rusin explained that many of the recipes that came from her family utilized shortening, because butter wasn’t readily available during the Great Depression. I will say, that you can certainly substitute butter instead of the vegetable shortening. But using vegetable shortening is exactly what makes these yellow cupcakes so super moist and fluffy.
These cupcakes will do well if you sift the flour. Nothing fancy required, just a regular fine mesh, stainless steel strainer will do. This helps fluff the flour and make these cupcakes super light.
If you do not want to make cupcakes, you can certainly make a Bundt cake with this recipe. You’ll want to bake the cake for about 50-60 minutes.
For Valentine’s day, these yellow cupcakes would be so pretty sprinkled with little Wilton heart sprinkles. Sprinkle them on while the frosting is wet and they will stay put once the frosting sets up.
Did you make one of my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating. Also, if you are on Pinterest, please feel free to leave a comment there and a photo if you have one! Follow A Farmgirl’s Kitchen on FACEBOOK and PINTEREST and subscribe my mailing list for ALL the latest recipes!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 3 large egg yolks room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter softened
- 3-4 tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together granulated sugar and vegetable shortening. Add the vanilla extract, eggs and egg yolks, one at a time. Combine well. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula occasionally. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the sifted flour and milk, alternating between the two. Mix for about 1 minute, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, making sure everything is thoroughly combined. Line regular size cupcake pan with papers. Scoop evenly into 18 cupcake papers.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer on slow speed, beat together powdered sugar, salt, unsweetened cocoa powder, softened butter and whole milk. Add a little more milk if needed. Whip on high speed until the frosting is smooth and the consistency you desire.
- Scoop the frosting into a pastry bag or a large zip-style bag, cut the tip off and pipe evenly onto the cupcakes.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.