Chicken Fajitas are a quick and easy meal with marinated boneless chicken breasts, sautéed onions, bell peppers, and topped with chipotle lime crema. You’ll love these cast iron chicken fajitas.
I love quick and easy meals for our busy weeknights. We cook a lot of our meals in cast iron. These grilled chicken fajitas are super easy to make. Simple to make and perfect for everyday meals or the weekend.
I love how easy it is to make chicken fajitas at home. Don’t own a cast iron skillet? Buy one here!
Chicken Fajitas Marinade
Step 1: Place the marinade ingredients in a large zip-style bag and press around with your fingers. Place the flattened chicken in the bag and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
How to make Cast Iron Chicken Fajitas
Step 1: Heat 2 tablespoons of corn oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat. Brown the chicken breasts on both sides, about 3 minutes each side. Use tongs to turn chicken.
Step 2: Remove the browned chicken, place on a plate or a small sheet pan lined with aluminum foil. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
Step 3: Saute sliced bell peppers and yellow onion in the same pan you cooked the chicken, over medium to low heat. Add a little more corn oil if needed as they cook. Use a wooden spoon to stir occasionally. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cook until softened but still a bit firm, about 8-10 minutes.
Step 4: Slice the chicken into strips and place back in the cooked peppers and onions.
Step 5: Make the chipotle lime crema by stirring together sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, pinch of salt, and chopped cilantro. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve the fajitas.
Step 6: Serve the fajitas on flour or corn tortillas and top with desired toppings such as chipotle lime crema, diced fresh tomatoes, sliced avocados, and Mexican blend shredded cheese.
Corn oil is an all-purpose cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy choice for your family. There are so many great uses include baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing. Oil has a neutral taste, therefore the natural flavors of your food shine through.
Don’t be scared of cooking in cast iron! Lodge Cast Iron has some great tips of how to keep your cast iron in tip top shape! They also have a great video of how to easily season your cast iron in the oven!
These pans are so easy to maintain and clean. We like to keep them hung on the wall on a hanger my husband made. I keep the smaller cast iron pans in the drawer below the oven.
How to clean your cast iron skillet
Do you know that you can crack a cast iron pan if you change the temperature of it too quickly? And who wants to crack a vintage cast iron skillet?! I wait for about 5 minutes after cooking a meal for my cast iron skillet to cool, then run it under VERY hot water.
While some people say never to use to use soap, I have no issues with using a little Dawn dish soap to clean my cast iron along with a dish cloth. Clean the pan and then dry the outside and inside of the pan thoroughly with a clean, dry paper towel.
Then spray the inside of the pan with cooking spray or a tablespoon of canola oil. Spread the oil or cooking spray around with a clean, dry paper towel. And that’s it.
For more Cast Iron Recipes be sure and try Cast Iron Pizza, Spinach Quiche Recipe, Mexican Shredded Chicken, Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe, Easy Apple Fritters, Homemade Apple Crisp, and Fried Apple Hand Pies.
Did you make one of my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating. Also, if you are on Pinterest, please feel free to leave a comment there! Follow A Farmgirl’s Kitchen on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and YouTube and subscribe my mailing list for ALL the latest recipes!
Cast Iron Chicken Fajitas
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3-4 bell peppers red, green, and orange, sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup whiskey or bourbon
- ¼ cup corn oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt and black pepper to taste
Chipotle lime crema:
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- pinch of salt
Chicken Fajita toppings:
- Freshly chopped tomatoes
- Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Cilantro finely chopped
- In a large zip-style bag add the marinade ingredients and push around on the outside of the bag with your fingers to combine.
- Lightly flatten the chicken by placing one piece at a time inside a plastic bag or between two pieces of plastic wrap. Use a wooden rolling pin or a meat tenderizer to flatten the chicken slightly and make it even thickness.
- Place each piece of flattened chicken into the marinade. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of corn oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat. Brown the chicken breasts on both sides, about 3 minutes each side. Use tongs to turn chicken.
- Remove the browned chicken, place on a plate or a small sheet pan lined with aluminum foil. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Saute sliced bell peppers and yellow onion in the same pan you cooked the chicken, over medium to low heat. Add a little more corn oil if needed as they cook. Use a wooden spoon to stir occasionally. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cook until softened but still a bit firm, about 8-10 minutes.
- Slice the chicken into strips and place back in the cooked peppers and onions.
- Make the chipotle lime crema by stirring together the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, pinch of salt, and chopped cilantro. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve the fajitas.
- Serve the fajitas on flour or corn tortillas and top with desired toppings such as chipotle lime crema, diced fresh tomatoes, sliced avocados, and Mexican blend shredded cheese.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.
CARMEN | wellingtonworldtravels.com says
It’s been so long since I had fajitas! Now I am craving for one! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Looks delicious!
Welp, you just rang my dinner bell! I know exactly what I am making for dinner tonight! YUM!
Oh yum. Fajitas are so good! I want to try this recipe!!! Looks so delicious and fun to make!!!
I love the addition of peppers since I am the only one in my household who loves them, I guess I could make this and have it all to myself lol. They look really delicious.
Elaine to says
OMG it look delicious!! Will try to make this for my family gathering next time, thanks !
tara pittman says
My family loves fajitas and we have them often. This would be a great recipe to make for dinner.
Jessica Robinson says
Thanks so much Tara! Nice to see you again!
You totally have me craving fajitas. Yours look just as good as restaurant fajitas. Yum!
It’s been so long since I’ve had fajitas. It’s going on my list for our family meals next week.
Yum!!! Thank you so much for sharing! They look so delicious!!
I love chicken fajitas! I definitely have to try this recipe out it looks delicious!
Sarah Bailey says
Now this sounds absolutely delicious! What a great way to make something different with chicken I don’t remember the last time I had fajitas either.
Where does the marinade come in? I’m assuming to soak the chicken in before cooking?
Jessica Robinson says
I updated the directions. Apparently there was a glitch and all of the directions were gone. All fixed now. See the recipe for full directions.
I figured it was for the chicken and made these tonight and they were delicious!!
Sarah Bailey says
OK now these sound like they would be right up my street! I really need to try and think about cooking in a cast iron skillet as well as they seem to cook amazingly.
I love chicken fajitas! I never tried to make them myself though, I didn’t know it was such an easy recipe. I like that your version looks very healthy too.
Jessi Joachim says
These chicken fajitas look delicious! I love cooking with cast iron too. Pretty much everything I make is with my cast iron skillets.