Banana Streusel Muffins are the perfect treat for breakfast and brunch. Easy to make using simple ingredients.
If you’ve never used wheat germ in a recipe, you don’t know what you are missing. You can find it down the cereal aisle, in a glass jar or order it on Amazon. Can we talk about how much I’m loving Amazon Pantry??!- with a click of the mouse I can order everything I need. Can I confess that I had no clue you could even do this until a few weeks back? I know, crazy, right?! This little whole grain is packed with goodness. Full of folic acid, vitamin E, magnesium, Phosphorus and more. Wheat germ is the part of the wheat that sprouts and grows into a new plant. Unfortunately, they do not process this into our flours. Add it to most any recipe, giving them a healthy, crunchy, nutty flavor. Once opened you’ll need to store it in the fridge. Use it within a month or it will go bad. But, with all the recipes you’ll be adding it to- I do not foresee it lasting that long anyway! I incorporate wheat germ into bread recipes, a yogurt smoothie and even cookies all the time.
How do you make streusel topping?
Streusel topping is super easy to make. Use your clean hands to combine the softened butter, sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon. Keep any leftovers in a large Ziploc bag and store in the fridge or freezer.
TIP: Make a large batch and store in the freezer, so whenever you want to make muffins or a blueberry pound cake, you can easily sprinkle a helping of streusel over what I’m making quickly. Be sure and check out my Blueberry Muffin recipe.
I hope you try my Banana Streusel Muffins. The secret ingredient is buttermilk, which makes them perfectly moist and a bit of sourness to balance off the sweet. Boy are these babies delicious. Perfect with a cup of hot coffee, brunch or even to take with you on the go. Packed with the goodness of unrefined brown sugar, wheat germ and buttermilk. They’ll leave you satisfied and loving the little bit of sweetness on top with the homemade streusel topping.
Do you love my recipes? If you have a moment, please leave a star rating!
Banana Streusel Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Streusel topping:
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, combine the streusel ingredients with your hands and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using either a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the banana and incorporate. Add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the buttermilk and vanilla. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the flour, baking soda, powder and salt and mix well. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Spoon or scoop muffin batter into 12 paper lined muffin tins. Spoon streusel topping over each muffin.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
Disclosure: A Farmgirl’s Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com