Banana Muffins are made with mashed bananas, shortening, eggs, buttermilk, flour, and topped with a streusel topping. This banana muffins recipe is simple to make and freezer friendly!
Homemade Banana Muffins Recipe
These easy banana muffins have Wheat Germ in them. This little whole grain is packed with goodness. Full of folic acid, vitamin E, magnesium, Phosphorus and more.
Wheat germ is the part of the wheat that sprouts and grows into a new plant. Unfortunately, they do not process this into our flours. Add it to most any recipe, giving them a healthy, crunchy, nutty flavor. Once opened store it in the fridge. Use it within a month or it will go bad.
I incorporate wheat germ into bread recipes, a yogurt smoothie and even cookies all the time.
How do you make moist banana muffins?
The trick to making moist banana muffins or bread is having the right mixture of dry and wet ingredients. Which is why my banana bread and banana muffins have either sour cream or buttermilk as an ingredient. Check out my banana bread recipe.
How do you make streusel topping?
Streusel topping is super easy to make. Use your clean hands to combine the softened butter, sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon. Keep any leftovers in a large zip-style bag and store in the fridge or freezer.
TIP: Make a large batch and store in the freezer, so whenever you want to make muffins or a blueberry pound cake, you can easily sprinkle a helping of streusel over what I’m making quickly.
Did you make one of my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating. Also, if you are on Pinterest, please feel free to leave a comment there and a photo if you have one! Follow A Farmgirl’s Kitchen on FACEBOOK and PINTEREST and subscribe my mailing list for ALL the latest recipes!
Banana Bread Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large ripe bananas
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, combine the streusel ingredients with your hands and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using either a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the banana and incorporate. Add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the flour, baking soda, powder and salt and mix well. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Spoon or scoop muffin batter evenly into 12 paper lined muffin tins. Spoon streusel topping over each muffin.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.