Southwestern Chicken and Avocado Tomato Salad is packed with flavor and is the perfect healthy inspired recipe. Chicken thighs with spices will leave you wanting another bite!
Don’t you just love a great dinner that’s flavorful and doesn’t take all night to prepare?! Our household is a constant whirlwind of motion. Homework to complete, chores to do, and an abundance of dishes to wash! Southwestern Chicken and Avocado Tomato Salad is the perfect dish for busy weeknights. Simple to prep, flavorful, and wonderfully moist chicken!
Our grill is right out the back slider door, off the kitchen. This makes it super easy to grill almost all year long. With the cold snap we had, I grilled, but found the grill was having a hard time keeping up with the temperature, because it was so darn cold outside!
More Grilling Recipes:
Grilled Maple Balsamic Glazed Pork Chops
Citrus and Garlic Marinated Flank Steak
Southwestern Chicken with Avocado Tomato Salad
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup whiskey
- 1 lime juiced
- salt and black pepper to taste
Avocado Tomato Salad
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 ripe avocados diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced thinly
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all of the marinate ingredients into a large zip-style bag and press with your fingers to mix together. Place the chicken pieces into the marinate. Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours and up to 24 hours. The longer you let marinate, the more flavors the chicken will absorb.
Avocado Tomato Salad
- Prepare the salad. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and green onion. Squeeze the lime juice over and stir gently to combine. Top with thinly sliced jalapeno slices. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Grill the chicken on medium to high heat on either an outdoor grill or a cast iron grill pan. If using a cast iron grill pan, spray with plenty of cooking spray as your chicken cooks. Use tongs to flip the chicken. Cook until thoroughly cooked, about 12-15 minutes. Let rest about 5 minutes before slicing the chicken. Serve with the avocado tomato salad.
Disclosure: A Farmgirl’s Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
Am I right to assume the lime juice is only for the avocado tomato salad? It is listed with the chicken marinade ingredients. If it’s meant to be included in both, please let me know.
So sorry to ask you and comment on all of these, but I can’t help and congrats you ! Your foods are amazing or they sound amazing because this is on my list to do but I was wondering if I could sub the thighs for breasts. Thanks again
Jessica Robinson says
Hello Alison!! Don’t apologize for asking questions! I’m happy to help!! Feel free to sub out the chicken thighs for breasts. My husband hates chicken thighs, for unknown reasons! LOL. So we use skinless chicken breasts all the time. I would suggest placing chicken breasts in a large Ziploc bag and flattening a bit with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer. Happy cooking!
If I had time, I would marinate my chicken every time I make it, it gives so much flavor to the dish and makes it soft and moist. 🙂 And avocado for that creaminess, just delicious! 🙂
What a delicious combo of flavours! Can’t go wrong with Chicken and Avo! Such gorgeous photos too 🙂
I’m kind of zoned in on that tomato and avocado salad. It’s so simple but sounds just perfect. A great foil for the rest of your meal.
Sandy @ Ginger and Scotch says
I wish I had a grill so I can make this recipe right now! Will just have to make do with the broiler.
Jenni LeBaron says
I can’t wait for tomato season in my garden so I can make more dishes like this. Looks incredibly tasty and healthy too!
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry says
That chicken looks so moist and delicious. You just can’t beat a chicken chicken salad sometimes.
This chicken dish looks absolutely delicious and perfect for dinner! I love the avocado tomato salad side which makes it even healthier. YUM!
Katherine Hackworthy says
Those sugar cookies looks so adorable! And of course, Avocado + Tomato is LOVE! ♥ Perfect combination for your salad!
Emily | OatandSesame says
This meal reminds me of summer! I can’t wait to dig into this salad with my garden tomatoes! And the chicken seasoning sounds great! I’m always bored with chicken, so I’m constantly trying new flavor combinations! Pinning this for the rotation!