Southwestern Chicken and Avocado Tomato Salad is packed with flavor and is the perfect healthy inspired recipe. Chicken thighs with spices will leave you wanting another bite!
Don’t you just love a great dinner that’s flavorful and doesn’t take all night to prepare?! Our household is a constant whirlwind of motion. Homework to complete, chores to do, and an abundance of dishes to wash! Southwestern Chicken and Avocado Tomato Salad is the perfect dish for busy weeknights. Simple to prep, flavorful, and wonderfully moist chicken!
Our grill is right out the back slider door, off the kitchen. This makes it super easy to grill almost all year long. With the cold snap we had, I grilled, but found the grill was having a hard time keeping up with the temperature, because it was so darn cold outside! Days are starting to warm up as spring becomes closer each and every day. So we’ll be cranking up the grill more and more for yummy meals.
This week was a busy one. I wrapped up nine freelance recipes. Can you imagine the dishes from prepping NINE different recipes?! I try to clean as I go, so it contains the mess a bit. Stopped and grabbed two different magazines that featured my recipes. And, the kids took their Decorated Heart Shaped Sugar Cookies to school for Valentine’s Day. Those were so fun to make and even better to eat! I wrapped them up in clear food safe bags, tied with red and white bakers twine and an adorable tag. Nothing better than something that’s homemade, don’t you agree?!
More Grilling Recipes:
Southwestern Chicken with Avocado Tomato Salad
Chicken thighs marinated and grilled for wonderful flavor. Fresh avocado and heirloom tomato salad adds even more depth and flavor.
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 1 lime juiced
- salt and black pepper to taste
Avocado Tomato Salad
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 2 ripe avocados diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced thinly
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all of the marinate ingredients into a large Ziploc bag and press with your fingers to mix together. Place the chicken pieces into the marinate. Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours and up to 24 hours. The longer you let marinate, the more flavors the chicken will absorb.
- Prepare the salad. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and green onion. Squeeze the lime juice over and stir gently to combine. Top with thinly sliced jalapeno slices. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Grill the chicken on medium to high heat on either an outdoor grill or a cast iron grill pan. If using a cast iron grill pan, spray with plenty of cooking spray as your chicken cooks. Use tongs to flip the chicken. Cook until thoroughly cooked, about 12-15 minutes. Let rest about 5 minutes before slicing the chicken. Serve with the avocado tomato salad.
Disclosure: A Farmgirl’s Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com