Homemade pizza is easy to make with only a few simple ingredients with either homemade or store-bought pizza dough. I’m sharing with you my mom’s Italian Pizza recipe.
Post contains affiliate links
Homemade Italian Style Pizza
Simple homemade meals were a big part of my childhood and really fond memories. Once a week, my mom made Homemade Pizza Dough and made Italian Style Pizza.
I mean, doesn’t this pizza look delicious?! Be sure and try my Cast Iron Pizza. Italian pizza has a thin crust with simple flavors and is cooked in a very hot oven.
Many times, my mom would make homemade marinara sauce. But, most of us simply do not have that kind of time on our hands. Sometimes I use store-bought sauce with this homemade pizza recipe because quality, taste, and texture are so important. (use whatever brand you prefer)
Step 1: Place the ceramic pizza stone into the oven. Preheat the oven to 550 degrees F.
Step 2: Use a small handful of cornmeal on the wooden paddle for the pizza dough not to stick.
Step 3: Quickly pull the pizza paddle back and forth to make sure the pizza dough doesn’t stick to the paddle.
Step 4: Use this same motion to quickly and carefully slide the pizza off and onto the preheated stone.
You can either make your own homemade pizza dough or use store-bought. Find store-bought pizza dough in the deli section with cheeses or in the freezer section with breads.
How to make Homemade Italian-Style Pizza:
Step 1: Use a rolling pin to roll the pizza dough into a 12-14-inch diameter. Sprinkle a wooden pizza paddle with a few tablespoons of yellow cornmeal. Place the rolled out dough on top.
Quickly pull back and forth to ensure the pizza dough doesn’t stick to the wooden paddle. (You can also use your hands to gently pull the pizza dough to your desired shape)
Step 2: Use the back of a tablespoon to spread the olive oil on the dough, leaving 1 to 1 1/2-inches of crust without oil.
Step 3: Repeat with tomato sauce. Pull the paddle back and forth after placing each topping, ensuring your dough does not stick.
Step 4: Add your choice of toppings and cheese. Quickly slide the uncooked pizza onto the hot pizza stone. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
Toppings for Homemade Pizza
My mom always used Italian sweet sausage links on homemade pizza. Brown the sausage links over medium to low heat in a cooking pan. Use tongs to turn the sausage as it browns. Cook it partially, and slice it. It will finish cooking on your pizza.
Tools you’ll need for making Italian Pizza:
• Pizza Stone: A ceramic pizza stone helps the crust become crunchy on the outside and stay soft on the inside. It helps retain the heat and distribute it evenly as the pizza cooks. Here’s the Pizza Stone I love!
• A pizza peel (or also called a pizza paddle) is used to slide the uncooked pizza onto the hot pizza stone. Aluminum or wooden will work. Though I personally prefer wood. Here’s the pizza peel I love!
Do you love my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating and share on social media using the hashtag #afarmgirlskitchen
Italian Pizza Recipe
Italian Style Pizza
- 1 pizza dough homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or pizza-blend cheese
- 2 links sweet sausage partially cooked and sliced
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Parmesan cheese for topping
Italian Style Pizza
- Place a pizza stone into the oven and preheat to 550 degrees F.
- Roll the pizza dough into a 12-14-inch circle. Sprinkle a wooden pizza paddle with a few tablespoons of yellow cornmeal. Place the rolled out dough on top. Quickly pull back and forth to ensure the pizza dough doesn’t stick to the wooden paddle.
- Use the back of a tablespoon to spread the olive oil on the dough, leaving1 to 1 1/2-inches of crust without oil. Repeat with Barilla Savory Tomato sauce. Pull the paddle back and forth after placing each topping, ensuring your dough does not stick.
- Add your choice of toppings and cheese. Quickly slide the uncooked pizza onto the hot pizza stone. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Turn the pizza once during the cooking process. To do this, simply pick it up with the wooden pizza paddle and slightly turn the entire pizza as you carefully slide it back onto the pizza stone.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Slice with a pizza cutter and enjoy.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.