Make these adorable Christmas Decorated Sugar Cookies using simple ingredients and a cookie cutter. Use a simple roll out sugar cookie and royal icing.
It’s amazing how much a year of practice makes a difference! I’ve mastered the art of making royal icing and thinning it out with egg whites in a separate bowl.
My new favorite Santa cookie cutter is available on Amazon! Anne Clark makes all these adorable cookie cutters in Rutland, Vermont.
Each Christmas I love to make something homemade for teachers, postal worker, close friends, and a few neighbors. This year, I went all out on these Santa sugar cookies. Wilton Cake Decorating makes the most adorable Metal Cookie Cutter Set 2/Pkg Santa Face cookie cutter. The mustache is a separate cookie cutter and you attach it to the top of Santa’s face. So cute!
First, I made rolled sugar cookies and let them cool completely. Below you can see the step images of the process of decorating each cookie. I piped royal icing around the outer edge of the cookie, for an outline. Let that dry and then flooded each section with thinned out royal icing.
Finally added details to each cookie. Once you get the royal icing down, you can let your creativity take over! Be sure and check out Sweetopia’s amazing video on how to decorate festive Christmas cookies! Be inspired this holiday season!
Aren’t these Vintage red trucks adorable? This is my favorite (and most popular design) that I make for the holidays! Get the cookie cutter HERE!
Did you make one of my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating. Also, if you are on Pinterest, please feel free to leave a comment there and a photo if you have one! Follow A Farmgirl’s Kitchen on FACEBOOK and PINTEREST and subscribe my mailing list for ALL the latest recipes!
Christmas Decorated Sugar Cookies
Decorated Sugar Cookies
- 1 ½ cups butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 tablespoons water
Decorated Sugar Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, using a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and almond extract. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined thoroughly. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula occasionally.
- Place the cookie dough into a large Ziploc bag and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to about ½-inch thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place the cookies carefully onto parchment lined half sheet pans, leaving a little space for them to expand.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Cool completely before decorating.
- In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, beat all ingredients at medium speed until icing forms peaks and loses its sheen, 7-10 minutes.
- If peaks are not forming, increase the mixer speed and continue to beat. To prevent drying, cover the bowl with a damp cloth while working with icing.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.