These Valentine Sugar cookies are simple to make and delicious. They are kind of a cross between a shortbread and sugar cookie.
I’m digging into my recipe binder that I’ve be working on for nearly twenty years and sharing many of my favorites. This rolled sugar cookie is one of them.
For these adorable Valentine Sugar cookies I used a heart-shaped cookie cutter. (Available at Walmart stores or on Amazon) You really can decorate them anyway you would like. Try making a chocolate ganache and dipping half of the cookie in white chocolate, the other half in chocolate ganache. Or whip together some royal icing, like I did in these pictures.
I simply used the back of a tablespoon to spread the icing around the cookie. Then, used a Wilton disposable decorating bag to make white dots. I took a toothpick, while the icing is still very wet and pulled down quickly from the top to bottom- creating a heart out of those dots.
You’ll want to keep a clean, damp cloth over the bowl of royal icing while you work, otherwise it will dry up. For other cookies, you’ll notice I spread on both pink and red icing, then swirled it together with a toothpick. Those are probably my favorites. You can get very creative with the colors and any decorations.
This would be a great project for you to work on with the kids. Just check with your local school system first, before sending these yummy treats in as Valentine’s Day treasures for classmates. Unfortunately, most school systems do not allow “homemade” items- which is such a shame. Make them and hand them out to neighbors, the postman and co-workers! They are absolutely adorable and a really yummy cookie!
Did you make one of my recipes? Please take a moment to leave a star rating.
Also, if you are on Pinterest, please feel free to leave a comment there and a photo if you have one! Follow A Farmgirl’s Kitchen on FACEBOOK and PINTEREST and subscribe my mailing list for ALL the latest recipes!
Valentine sugar cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Royal icing:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 tablespoons water
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together granulated sugar, powdered sugar and softened butter. Add the vanilla, almond extract and eggs. Combine well. Add the flour and salt. Combine thoroughly. Scrape the bowl several times with a rubber spatula.
- Place dough into a large Ziploc bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thickness and cut into cookies.
- Place evenly on sheet pans lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes.
- In a clean and grease-free bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and water. Keep on medium speed and fluffy and the sheen is gone.
Disclosure: As an Affiliate Marketer, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click a product affiliate link on A Farmgirl’s Kitchen and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you! I own every cooking product I recommend and love how they perform.