Halloween is right around the corner! Thursday will be here faster than a blink of an eye. We love carving pumpkins in our family. It’s part of the Halloween tradition. When I was younger and still living on my parents’ farm, I’d often carve 20 or 30 pumpkins each year. We’d set them on old sap buckets and people would come from all around the neighborhood to see all of my creations.
Here are some great Halloween Pumpkin carving ideas. This website is great and offers FREE Pumpkin carving patterns. Woman’s Day has 7-cool pumpkin carving ideas too! I love using tooth picks to prop back out “ears” that you cut out of the side of the pumpkin. Sometimes I even cut out a “tongue” which is super cool!
- Use a black Sharpie marker for laying out your design
- Cut the top of the pumpkin with a sharp knife, cut on an angle- so the top won’t fall into the pumpkin
- Use a large metal spoon to scrape the insides of the pumpkin out
- Rinse, salt and bake the pumpkin seeds to enjoy later (just rinse and air dry good if you are saving to replant next season!)
- I like a variety of knives (my Dad got me a set of wood carving knives years ago- much better than those cheap sets they sell for pumpkin carving!)
- Layout paper as a work area- keeps everything clean and neat!
- Carve a DAY or TWO prior to Halloween~ carve too early and they will rot
(CREDIT: Photos from Woman’s Day and Pinterest)