It is so bitter cold here. Zero degrees this morning. That’s super cold for North Carolina. Ice cold winds just blow right through you because we do not really have much in the way of mountains to break them. This past Sunday I made my mom’s Sausage soup. Brown sweet sausage links in a pan, cut them up and toss into this amazing vegetable medley soup with bow tie pasta. Everything cooks in the same pot- making your life easy. Then top with plenty of freshly shredded Cabot cheese. (oh my goodness- this soup is so delicious and will give you quick meals on cold winter nights) Make sure you top it with sharp shredded cheddar cheese because that is really what gives it a kick of extra flavor! For dessert I whipped up this Red Velvet Swirl Marble cake. It’s wonderfully moist and so tasty.
I grew up in New England- so Cabot Coop holds a special place in my heart. They also make the most amazingly creamy butter, Greek yogurts and award-winning cheeses. This recipe uses farm fresh butter, directly from Cabot along with their Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt. If you have not had this yogurt yet- you have no idea what you are missing! I keep the fridge stocked with it for fruit parfaits with homemade maple granola and in pretty much every cake or quick bread I make. It adds a depth of flavor and keeps your cakes super moist. I promise this Red Velvet Marble cake will not disappoint. It’s super simple to make and will be perfect for Valentine’s Day. I made this yummy cake in my Nordic Ware Bundt pan. Their company offers so many pretty pans, all made in the United States. They even have adorable heart-shaped pans, perfect for Valentine’s Day!
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted Cabot butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Cabot Greek Vanilla Bean yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together softened butter and granulated sugar. Add the vanilla extract and the eggs, one at a time. Combine well. Sift the flour with the baking powder and set aside.
- Add the Greek yogurt and combine. Add the sifted flour, salt and baking powder. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl occasionally, using a rubber spatula.
- Place a third of the cake batter into a bowl. Mix together cider vinegar and baking soda. Add that mixture to the batter along with the unsweetened cocoa powder and red food coloring. Mix together well.
- Prepare a 12- cup Bundt pan with cooking spray and dust with flour.
- Scoop both batters into the prepared baking pan, alternating between both. Use a butter knife to swirl the cake batters together. Be careful not to touch sides or bottom of the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean. Take out of the pan and cool on a baking rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar and cut into slices.
A Farmgirl’s Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.