Maple was obviously a big part of my life growing up on a small farm. I have vivid memories of sweet sugary steam escaping from the wooden cupola doors, that my dad would open and lay on the roof of the sugar house. You could smell that sweet sticky goodness throughout the entire neighborhood. Memorial Day weekend is upon us and what better way to enjoy it than with a great grilling recipe?! I’m certain you’re gonna love my Maple Whiskey Grilled Chicken.
I’ve been back in the farm kitchen and developing more recipes for your pure enjoyment. From this all-American home cook to your kitchen, I’m really hoping you enjoy this one! Get the grill ready and get this delicious chicken onto your backyard party menu. It’s as simple as putting the ingredients into a large Ziploc bag, push around with your fingers and throw the chicken in to marinate. Then either grill outside or in a cast iron grill pan (which is a favorite of mine!) Someone very special to my heart, recently took me to a farm equipment auction and we happened across a vintage Wagner cast iron grill pan. It was in a wooden daffodil bulb crate, buried under some vintage farm signs and such. He stood careful watch over that box of miscellaneous items and made sure to get me that pan. So far, it’s my favorite!
Now, don’t forget to check out my Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade for your Memorial Day festivities this weekend!
- 1 cup whiskey
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3-4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced, sauteed
- In a large Ziploc bag combine the ingredients for the marinate.
- Use a wooden rolling pin or meat tenderizer to flatten the chicken, only slightly to even the thickness out. Place the chicken breasts into the marinate and place in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours. The longer it marinates, the more flavor it will have.
- Grill on medium to high about 4 minutes each side, or until cooked all the way through. Let rest for 4-5 minutes before slicing to enjoy. Serve with sauteed mushrooms and your favorite vegetables. This chicken also makes a great sandwich.