I’m a strong believe of being loyal to people- that includes some of my favorite food companies. Ones that help to support our local farming communities and keep families in need fed. Whether that be our local feed store, Tractor Supply or companies such as King Arthur Flour, Cabot Coop Boyajian Oils, Nordic Ware, Wilton Cakes and Driscoll’s Berries. These are companies that have also been very supportive of my business and cookbook. So, thank you to those companies that always help to support the little guy and keep our country moving forward!
My Mom designed wedding and specialty cakes for nearly 30 years. With all the unique flavors she would often create- when asked what flavor I wanted for my Birthday, I would answer Lemon. This Lemon Coconut Pound cake is the creation of two flavors I love. This pound cake is wonderfully moist and full of lemon flavor. With everything I keep stocked in the pantry, one of my top ingredients is pure lemon oil from Boyajian Oils. This is not an extract (which typically would have water and alchol as an ingredient) it’s pure lemon oil from the rinds of lemons. This adds so much intense lemon flavor to any of your recipes! I love this essential oil in things like scones, cakes and even to marinate my chicken with intense lemon flavor.
Saturday, we shop local- at our Food Lion store. I’m off this weekend to stock up the pantry, fridge and freezer with lots of good ingredients for my recipes. Our cart will be filled with plenty of Cabot butter (always keep 10-pounds minimum in the freezer), King Arthur Flour and lots of baking ingredients. Can I tell you that my favorite aisle in the grocery store is the “baking aisle!?” My husband usually looks at the items in my shopping cart and says- “are these things to bake for the blog or for you to cook for us?” Then I giggle a little and say “both?!” That is the life of a food blogger and cookbook author!
- 3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted Cabot butter, softened
- 1 cup Cabot full-fat sour cream
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pure (Boyajian) lemon oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- Lemon icing:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and incorporate well. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, pure lemon oil and coconut extract. Mix together and scrape the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula occasionally.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and blend gently until smooth. Pour evenly into two 9x5-inch loaf pans that you have prepared with either paper liners or nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
- In a bowl, combine the icing ingredients with a whisk removing any lumps.
- Let cool slightly before drizzling with icing. Sprinkle wet icing with shredded coconut flakes.