We’ve had a spell of much warmer than usual weather the last week or so. The screen door is open and Southern breezes are coming into my kitchen. Rather, heavenly smells of Cast Iron Chicken and Chewy Fudge Brownies are drifting throughout the neighborhood. As any typical day, the house looks like a tornado twisted through and dropped piles of organized chaos. That’s just part of the life of being a food blogger.
My husband was raised on boxed brownies. Knowing that he was used to the way they taste, I set my baking talents on creating a from scratch brownie that has similar characteristics of a box brownie, but non of the preservatives. Soft, chocolatey, gooey and oh so delicious.
Brownies are a very simple thing to make at home. Only a few ingredients, most that you probably already have in your pantry. But, adding the little bit of brewed coffee helps accent and bring out the chocolate flavors even more. Mixing butter and canola oil gives you that flaky top to the brownies. Oh, these are so stinking good. You’ll be licking up every delicious crumb. Make them and tell me how they came out!
A little discussion about baking pans. Personally, I absolutely cannot stand these fancy non-stick coated pans! They are horrible. The temperature is not even and they do not bake evenly. Meaning, your brownies will burn to a crisp around the edges and the rest will be soft. Now, I’m not sure about you?! But, I’m not looking to waste half of the brownies, we want to eat the whole darn pan full! A simple aluminum baking pan is my personal preference. AND, do yourself the favor and order the darn thing on Amazon. Because unless you are close to King Arthur Flour in Norwich, Vermont or some great family-owned kitchen store, you’re not gonna find one. Your darn sure not gonna find one in Walmart!
Okay- I’m heading back into the kitchen to clean up, wash a ton of dishes and wrap up our receipts so we can file taxes. It’s that time of year!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 (4-ounce) bar unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose or cake flour
- 3-4 Reese’s peanut butter eggs, cut up small
- Cut the chocolate bar into small pieces.
- Prepare your baking pan (8 x 8- inches square) with cooking/baking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a glass measuring cup, melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave on high for 30 seconds. Then again for 30 seconds. Stir with a spoon and let sit for 5 minutes until the chocolate is dissolved completely. Microwave a little more if needed. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, salt, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add the coffee and whisk in. Pour in the chocolate/butter mixture and whisk into the egg mixture. Mix in the canola oil.
- Add the flour and stir in with a rubber spatula. Once completely mixed, fold in the Reese’s peanut butter egg pieces.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-55 minutes, or until when a toothpick when inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean. Let cool almost completely before slicing.